Where did the name “Kara '' come from?
The name ‘Kara’ is the Noongar word for a rare and protected orchid native to the Treeby area.
The spider orchid, or Cryptostylis, is among other local rare flora species discovered in the native bush to the north of Kara and along Ghostgum Avenue.
Treeby: the food bowl of WA
Treeby used to be a thriving agricultural centre. The suburb was originally named after a family of settlers in the Jandakot Agricultural Area.
After arriving from South Australia in the late 1890s, Joseph and Emma Treeby settled on the land on Armadale Road and developed a market garden on the drained wetlands.
They had eight children – three girls and five boys. They worked as a family to clear the land and set up the garden.
In 1901, Western Australia joined the Federation and the demand for fresh vegetables generated by the population boom of the gold rush meant the new state imported fruit and vegetables to feed demand.
This stimulated opportunities and rapid growth in the local orchard and market garden industry, with swampland north and south of the settlement area becoming the ‘food bowls’ of the state.